Reducing the amount of added sugar in your diet is one of the best things you can do for yourself. Even if you just reduce it 10%, it can have a significant effect on your health! Reducing the added sugar in your diet can lower blood pressure, cholesterol, triglycerides, decrease risk of heart attack, keep your brain sharp, decrease risk of developing dementia, keep skin looking younger and clearer, lower your risk of diabetes, reduce certain cancers, fewer cavities, balance hormones, reduce anxiety, give you more energy, help you maintain a healthy weight and have fewer crashes!! I highly recommend to challenge yourself, and start reducing the added sugar in your diet today!! Know though, that it is possible to go through a type of withdraw from added sugars, and it can take a week to start feeling better.
So, what is a person with a sweet-tooth to do? No worries, you can still enjoy yourself! Check out this delicious low-sugar recipe:
Low-Sugar Strawberry Almond Oat Pizzas:
- 3/4 Cup Oats
- 1 Cup Almond Flour
- 1 Teaspoon baking powder
- 6 Tablespoons Coconut Oil or Earth Balance
- 1/4th cup Lakanto Zero Calorie MonkFruit Sweetener. Add more to taste.
- Pinch of Salt
- Reduced-Sugar Organic Strawberry Jam, or make your own!
- Blend Oats, almond flour, baking powder, oil, Lakanto and salt into a food processor until cookie-dough consistency.
- In a 9 inch circular pan lined with parchment paper, press down the dough evenly.
- Top with Jam, and evenly coat to desired thickness
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until crust lightly browned.
- Once cool, cut into pizza pieces!
❤ Colleen Poling, RD