A perfect way to celebrate the Halloween season. These vegan pumpkin cinnamon rolls are perfect for a special morning treat. These made the kitchen smell wonderful!
- 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup Pumpkin Puree
- 1/4 cup organic soy milk or rice milk
- 1/4 cup margarine, melted (non-hydrogenated)
- 1 tablespoon in the raw sugar
- 2 1/2 cups organic white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 t ground ginger
- 3/4 cups organic white whole wheat flour
- 1 T vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons in the raw sugar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons organic white whole wheat
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons chilled margarine (non hydrogenated), cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1/4 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
1) In a large bowl, combine the warm water with the yeast and whisk together with a fork, let stand for 5 minutes. Add the pumpkin, milk, melted margarine, and sugar in with the yeast, and lightly mix.
2) Sift in the first two and a half cups of flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger, and beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth.
3) Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Take the remaining 3/4 cup of flour and use it to flour the top of the dough and your surface a tablespoon at a time, as needed to keep the dough from getting sticky as you knead it. Knead the dough for about ten minutes, the dough will be elastic but soft and still a little sticky to the touch without being floured.
4) Place the dough in a large bowl coated with oil, turning to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, for 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
5) Punch the dough down; cover and let rest for 5 minutes.
6) While dough is rising, combine the sugar, brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Cut in margarine with a fork until mixture resembles coarse meal.
7) Roll the dough into a 12 x 10-inch rectangle on a floured surface. Sprinkle with brown sugar mixture. Roll up the rectangle tightly, from the long side, pinch seam and ends to seal. Cut roll into 12 (1-inch) slices. Place the slices in a 9-inch square or round baking pan coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise 25 minutes or until doubled in size.
8.) Preheat oven to 375°.
9) Bake the rolls for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 15 minutes in pan on a wire rack.
10) Sift the powdered sugar into a small bowl. Add the water and vanilla, and whisk until smooth. It should be thick, but easy to drizzle. If it’s too thick, add another 1/2 teaspoon of water.