Has anyone ever told you that breakfast is the most important meal of the day? It sounds cliché, but it is the truth! Your body has been fasting all night long, and it is important to break this fast with breakfast! You may think that skipping breakfast could aid in weight loss, but you are wrong. It will most likely aid in your weight gain. Your body goes into starvation mode when you skip breakfast, and when you finally do decide to eat, your body will conserve all those calories. This happens because your body does not know when it will be fed again. In a way your body has turned on to a survival mode, like the cavemen who lived hundreds of years ago. The cavemen would sometimes have irregular meals, because they would have to catch their own food. When they did eat, the calories would be conserved and stored. This is a miraculous process which the body can do for us, however we are not cavemen, so let’s not skip meals!
Also, when you skip breakfast you tend to be more hungry during lunch and dinnertime. By the time you come home from work after having no breakfast, and a wimpy lunch, you are probably are starving! This leads to quick and rash food choices. Most of the time these food choices are not the best choices, and you may consume a lot of this particular food, (such as potato chips or cookies). These bad food choices lead to weight gain, because you are eating these high calorie foods along with your normal dinner, (or a poor choice dinner such as fast food).
The best breakfast options involve fruits, vegetables, low-fat dairy products, lean meats, whole grains, high fiber and protein, low in sugar and no fast foods.
Ponder these important questions if you are not eating breakfast every morning: Why am I not eating breakfast? Do I overeat at lunch and/or dinner? What hinders me from not eating breakfast? What are some ways that I can overcome these obstacles?
Here are some healthy breakfast options:
- Steel-cut oatmeal, ground flax seed, blueberries, sliced almonds
- A high fiber cereal such as Kashi go-lean crunch with skim or low-fat milk
- A Fresh Fruit salad
- Low-fat yogurt with berries and low-fat granola
- Scrambled egg whites with sliced red bell peppers, onions, broccoli and crushed pepper with whole gain toast
- Whole grain english muffin with natural peanut butter, pears and skim or low-fat milk
- High protein energy bar
- Fruit smoothie with frozen fruits and low-fat soy milk or water
- Low-fat cottage cheese with peaches
- Grab portable fruit such as apples, bananas, pears for an on the go breakfast
“All happiness depends on a leisurely breakfast.” John Gunther