For Father’s Day this year i decided to make a vegan dinner. My father is a physician, and I am still trying to teach him the importance of good nutrition! My dad loved the dinner I cooked. I made Pumpkin Tortilla Soup with, ALT sandwiches, a tomato salad and watermelon for dessert! This meal was very filling and hearty despite there being no meat products or dairy products. No soy products were used either!
Here I am cooking, and I am influencing my dad to read the ADA position paper on Vegetarian Diets on his Ipad!
Pumpkin Tortilla Soup
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium white onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup finely chopped cilantro, plus more sprigs for garnish
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Chile pequins, other dried hot peppers, or cayenne pepper to taste*
1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree or canned pumpkin
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
5 cups unsalted vegetable stock
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-2 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted, and cubed
- Cut 6 of the tortillas into 1/2-inch squares.
- Heat 4 tablespoons olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion, garlic, cilantro, and chopped tortillas and cook, stirring frequently, until onion is soft.
- Add cumin and crushed peppers or cayenne and sauté for another minute.
- Add pumpkin, tomatoes, vegetable stock, and salt and stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for one hour.
- While the soup is simmering, cut the remaining 4 tortillas in half and then into 1/4-inch-wide strips. Broil for 5 minutes until crispy.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls and garnish with tortilla strips, avocado, and cilantro.
Below are the yummy ALT sandwiches that I made. Here is the recipe.
2 slice WHOLE WHEAT bread
1/4 ripe avocado chopped
1/2 medium tomato chopped
1/2 cup baby spinach leaves or arugula
1 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Place mustard on one slice of bread, place 1/2 cup of spinach leaves on one slice of bread, place tomato slices on one slice of bread, place avocado one piece of bread.
- Put together sandwiches by closing two pieces together slowly, then press gently to compress sandwich.
Here is the lovely dinner table. It was such a nice day that we got to eat outside. Of course water to drink. And only a pepper shaker at the table..NO salt shaker!
Try these recipes toady for your family! Don’t say anything about it being vegan….just serve it. Then tell them after that it was vegan. People tend to be scared and shy away of food that is labeled vegan since they are not used to trying vegan recipes. Some think that these types of recipes may taste bad! Prove them, and yourself wrong!