A healthy, balanced diet consists of whole grains, heart healthy fats, fruits, vegetables, lean meats and beans, low-fat dairy products, is low in cholesterol, low in fat, low in sodium, high fiber and high in protein. Do you ever wonder, “how can I put all these things together into an actual menu?”
Use this menu I have created as a reference. I have included everything that you need for a daily balanced diet! Each dish has 5 ingredients or less. I bought everything here for 50 dollars.
Do not EVER skip breakfast! Try making this lightning fast smoothie. It contains blueberries which are very high in antioxidants (which fight cancer), ground flax seeds which are very high in omega-3 fatty acids (which are very good for brain and heart health), and soy milk which is low in fat. You want to always get the ground flax seed. If you are buying whole flax seeds, you are wasting your money! The whole seeds cannot be digested or used by your body, and to be frank, they came out in the same form as you put them in!
Blueberry Cereal Smoothie
- 3/4 cup frozen blueberries (no sugar added)
- 1 cup soy milk
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed meal
- Place blueberries, soy milk and flax seed meal in blender
A quick lunch is a must to make, because we do not have much time in the evening or the morning to prep. It it takes too long to prep, we will be tempted to skip making it and go out somewhere for lunch. Save yourself the money and make this quick sandwich. Whole wheat bread which is high in fiber, avocados which are high in the heart healthy monounsaturated fats, spinach which are good sources of iron, Vitamin C, and antioxidants, tomatoes which are high in lycopene which is an antioxidant that can prevent cancer, and Dijon mustard which is low in fat and high in flavor! Pair this sandwich along with an Apple and a glass of skim milk and you are all set!
ALT (Avocado/Lettuce/Tomato) Sandwich
- 2 slice WHOLE WHEAT bread
- 1/4 ripe avocado chopped
- 1/2 medium tomato chopped
- 1/2 cup baby spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Place mustard on one slice of bread, place 1/2 cup of spinach leaves on one slice of bread, place tomato slices on one slice of bread, place avocado one piece of bread.
- Put together sandwiches by closing two pieces together slowly, then press gently to compress sandwich.
- 1 jar (11-12 oz) Medium Salsa
- 1 can 8 oz low-sodium tomato sauce
- 1 can no-salt added black beans
- 1 can no-salt added whole kernel corn drained
- 9 whole wheat flour tortillas
- preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together salsa, tomato sauce, beans and corn.
- Place 3 tortillas down on a large cookie sheet. Spread mixture evenly over tortilla. Cover each with a tortilla and repeat on next layer. Top with a final tortilla on each.
- Back pie until cheese has melted and filling is hot, 10-12 minutes.
Greek Yogurt Surprise!
- 8 -4 oz cups Non-Fat Honey Greek Yogurt
- 2-Boxes Madagascar Vanilla Wafers
- 8-Large Bananas
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Open yogurt containers and mix yogurt in a bowl.
- Cut all bananas into small slices.
- Pour wafers into a bowl and smash them until crushed.
- Get a clear large bowl for the layering process. Start with the cookies on the bottom, then yogurt, then bananas, repeat three about three times. End with cookies on top. Then sprinkle chocolate chips on the very top!
- Cover and refrigerate for a couple hours.